AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Thursday, April 23, 2009

men's accessories

blog written by Patrick (Senior Stylist at Hairroin Salon)
Accessories can make or break your look. It’s important to consider appropriateness and quantity. I personally don’t think you can have too much, but I am frequently vetoed. Guys are getting more opportunities to flair. Everywhere you go there are new men’s accessories. Guess always has an interesting collection, as does Urban Outfitters. I personally favor vintage, one of a kind and artisan pieces. I started my collection in my parents’ cast offs. I still have some great things that I stole from my dad, like the shotgun tie bar. Then I started combing garage sales, estate sales and flea markets. As I developed my personal style, I started scouting galleries and art shows for artisan items.
(Check out the watermelon tourmaline ring in the pics)

One rule I have is that the more unique and distinctive a piece is, the more likely it should stand alone. Simple chains and beaded necklaces layer easily (fig. 1) but larger ornaments look best as a showcase item. I’m also a big fan of multiple bracelets but can rarely pull off more than five at a time. A ring on every finger is overkill but don’t be afraid to pile on three or four at time like my friend, actor Darren Brooks (fig. 2). The most important thing about accessories is that you be comfortable in your skin and that your “stuff” doesn’t inhibit your ability to work. That said, pile it on… this is LA after all.




hairroin
323.467.0392
www.hairroinsalon.com

No comments: